Surf’s Up: Family-Friendly Surfing Beaches in the UKActivities, Beach Posted on: 8th September 2017
You don’t have to cross the ocean to find the best family-friendly surfing beaches. There are plenty right here in the UK. The sea around the UK is at its warmest at this time of year, so you can head out in your Robert and Son swimwear and teach your little dudes how to hang five on the blue juice. They will appreciate it more if you insist on talking in sixties surf slang and playing early Beach Boys albums in the car on the way to the beach. Here are five of our favourite family-friendly beaches
- Gorleston Reef: The North Sea around East Anglia is not a famous surf destination, but it has some good spots. Just south of Great Yarmouth, Gorleston Reef offers some good surfing conditions in the right weather and a sandy bottom to break the fall of beginners. Watch out for the groynes though!
- Freshwater West. Pembrokeshire in South Wales offers some delightful (and sometimes deserted) beaches. Freshwater is usually busy, however, because the wave quality is perfect for surfers.
- Portrush. Ireland’s Atlantic coast has some of the biggest surfable waves in the world. Professionals compete to bag waves that are 15 or 20 metres high. Portrush in Northern Ireland offers something a little tamer and is perfect for family fun on a boogie board or for learners to practice on.
- Whitsand Bay. Cornwall is the home of British surfing and British surf culture. Many UK surfers have settled in Cornwall because the swell is guaranteed. Whitsand Bay is on the South Coast between Plymouth and Portwrinkle. The beach is located at the bottom of a cliff by a military firing range and is usually quiet.
- Kimmeridge Bay. This beach is for surfers with a little experience behind them as the surf breaks on a rocky reef. That said, this location in Dorset offers probably the best surfing conditions on the south coast. There are three different waves, known as the Ledges, the Bay and the Bench.
We hope that you’ve found this useful. If you need any swimwear, check out our range of father and son swim shorts. For further information on any of our products, please email email@example.com.
Find a family-friendly surfing beach near you on the atlas at surfing-waves.com.